Patch Tests

As a matter of professionalism and prevention, we encourage all clients to have a professional colour consultation and patch test before receiving a hair colour service. Clients that are perhaps just thinking they may want colour in the future are welcome to have a patch test without booking a colour service. The patch test is quick and simple. Clients are welcome to pop into the salon for a patch test at anytime; they do not require an appointment for this service.

If client is unable to visit the salon prior to a colour appointment we are able to post them a home patch test- Colourstart.
These test kits are costly, yet the only Government approved skin test colour allergy patch tests available.There will be a product charge for this item of £20 taken upon request of a posted patch test. This will be reimbursed / deducted form your bill upon completion of colour & technical service.The patch test comes with full instructions and is easy to apply.In salon allergy tests are free of charge.Just ask us for any more information or if you have any concerns.


The ingredient that can cause problems is paraphenylenediamine (ppd) which is found in all permanent or oxidation hair colours. If you know you are allergic to ppd, all permanent and most semi or demi permanent hair dyes should be avoided.

A patch test is exactly what its' name suggests, a tiny portion or patch of a product is placed onto your skin to test for an allergic reaction. Every one of us is different so what is normal to one person can cause a violent reaction in another.

Most permanent hair dye that is used in professional hair salons and at home contain this chemical or a related one. Dyed hair cannot cause an allergy but the dye may do during application when it comes in to contact with your skin. You can never be completely sure how your skin or hair will react to certain chemicals or ingredients, which is why patch tests are so important.The patch test involves putting a dab of hair dye behind the ear or inside the elbow, leaving it there for two days (48hours), and looking for itching, burning, redness, swelling or other reactions.

If any or all of these symptoms are experienced it would not be possible to use that product on your skin.It is possible to suddenly become allergic to a substance (during times of stress or pregnancy) or for your allergy to disappear. So it is a good idea to have a patch test every time you have a colour, the main cause of allergic reactions. This is far from practical for most of us with our busy schedules though and reactions are very rare. So when feeling low or having noticed your skin to be sensitive in general, make the effort. The rest of the time, it's useful to monitor the reaction you are feeling and tell your hairdresser immediately you notice something different from normal.

Note; colour applied directly to the scalp does itch a little, especially, if your hair has been freshly shampooed. It should not, however, feel like it is burning or that the itching is so intense you can't stand it. A reaction can be very severe and should not be dismissed. Hairdressers are trained to remove the product causing the problem immediately. You should then visit your doctor who will be able to prescribe an antihistamine to prevent it getting any worse and suggest further action if needed.